I expect better :-( (Off-Topic)

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Friday, May 02, 2014, 10:11 (3649 days ago) @ TDSpiral

However, I did want to readdress what I said about "fucking things up for everybody" with posts like these. I feel like many "social justicers" trivialize MANY issues and that causes some folks to not take anything they say seriously. They're doing more harm than good at that point. I don't believe that she's purposefully trying to be unhelpful, but her post about this just made me think that she's the kind of person who likes to stir up controversy.

The best thing about social justice concerns is that it does in fact stir up controversy. Controversy gets people talking and makes them aware of issues that they might not have been privy to before or have previously misunderstood. It's the efforts of people like Jay in the past and today that allows me to live just a little bit more comfortably in any place I may find myself, being a woman, who's also transgender and bisexual.

We "trivialize" these issues because our detractors and assorted bigots tirelessly highlight the fact that they don't know anything with their purposefully ignorant views, but also scour biased sources to assemble an argument. Thinking they're not worthy of being taken seriously because they do pick apart these issues line by line is pretty disheartening. It's just one of many methods used by activists with proven results.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread