I expect better (Off-Topic)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Monday, May 05, 2014, 11:11 (3646 days ago) @ Grizzlei

The best thing about social justice concerns is that it does in fact stir up controversy.

I would think the bet thing about social justice concerns is that someone is actually concerned, or, you know, getting them addressed and actually increasing social justice.
To address this and a bunch of posts, I think people are missing what TDSpiral meant (which is understandable because he could've been significantly clearer). It seemed to me like he was saying he thought this person (the one with the article) was more interested in creating controversy than getting results, and it seems like Deej said that was the case, at least in this person's actions on b.net.

We "trivialize" these issues because our detractors and assorted bigots tirelessly highlight the fact that they don't know anything with their purposefully ignorant views, but also scour biased sources to assemble an argument. Thinking they're not worthy of being taken seriously because they do pick apart these issues line by line is pretty disheartening. It's just one of many methods used by activists with proven results.

I don't know what anyone in this thread means by "trivialize"; it sounds like a different usage than I'm used to but I can't really tell. From the usage I'm used to, that person (the one who got banned mistakenly) was doing the opposite of trivializing issues (i.e. shrinking, minimizing, belittling, representing them as insignificant), if anything she may (she just may) have been portraying them as bigger than they are-- but then, when you do that consistently, it might make something seem trivial to others, because they get used to it being yelled at them and they group it in with the background noise of life.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread