What we have lost... (Destiny)

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Friday, August 01, 2014, 04:17 (3549 days ago) @ narcogen

For that gain I would gladly trade away most of the rest.

I'll miss Theater mode the most.

More than the chaos of Firefight or the wackiness and imagination of Forge, it was Halo's theatre mode that really drew me in. For hours on end I watched gameplay footage whether it was a full campaign mission setting the camera in cinematically appealing spots or in the thick of a heated competitive match, it brought just as much entertainment as the game proper. This was my creative outlet for Halo. I never had much ambition setting building blocks together, nor was I attune to what truly made an enjoyable gameplay experience. Finding the best angle, the best manipulation of light and elements, and so many other factors all came together to give my ultimate gift back to Halo.

Yes, Destiny is it's own game and Bungie is right to set it apart from the crowd and it's own trail of the games preceding it. However, Theatre mode for me, not just in Halo, has become an integral component of a game or at least it should be. Bungie got Thater mode right from the very start and it seemed like little had to be done to give yet another creative element for players to enjoy in ODST and later for Rrach. While I can surely understand Destiny having a considerably broader scope that would challenge them for Theatre mode, that in the end is what makes a truly great game. Whatever it would turn out to be could be better had it not been refined, but it would have been fantastic given the ability nonetheless.

Holy fuck that was dramatic for no reason.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread