Depends... Bigger in gaming? Or Bigger...everywhere? (Destiny)

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Friday, August 01, 2014, 07:26 (3527 days ago) @ Kermit

New article about the beta on the Verge.

Well I would hope so. It's going to be released on four consoles after all.

Halo is big. Halo is a system seller. It's what gave legitimacy to Microsoft's fledgling console 10 years ago.

Arguably, Halo helped to build XBL into what it is now, and inspired a multitude of other shooters.

And as we know, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Destiny will do the same, but this time for PS4. It will bring legitimacy to PS+, and give people a reason to consider PS4 as their hub for online gaming. Truth be told, without Destiny, I personally had no reason to want a PS4 (other than some of the people I like being there [damn you for that]).

You've said many a time that Bungie is a lot like Apple, and I agree with you. Bungie isn't necessarily the best at innovating brand new stuff (hold on a second fans), but they ARE really good at taking something that already exists, and making it way better.

Also like Apple, they are very good at combining things that at first glance most would shrug off and then making it something you didn't even know you wanted.

As long as Halo remains a console exclusive, Destiny should easily be bigger. Kind of how like CoD is bigger than Halo. You can get it on any system. This is in terms of gaming.

However, Destiny doesn't yet have the other media that Halo has built up (live action shows, DVDs, novels, comics, toys, clothing, etc). So for media presence, I have to say Halo is bigger in that respect.

But those things come with time, obviously.

Once Destiny has that stuff, it will be bigger than Halo in every way. And that is not a bad thing, nor does it make Halo inferior (not saying you are saying that).

[

Shameless Rev wishes: I hope Destiny stays small as long as it can. I've always felt Halo felt best when it was small. Once a film or TV show or game reaches that 'critical mass' of popularity, it loses some of it's magic as it just becomes a money machine for who owns it.

-Rev

Not a hipster ]

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread