Playing Co-op (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, August 16, 2014, 13:35 (3541 days ago) @ Leviathan
edited by Kermit, Saturday, August 16, 2014, 13:39

In my opinion, for maximum story impact, you'll need to play alone. Which defeats the purpose of the game. Unless there are way more cutscenes. By the way, is there voice chat during cutscenes?

Yes there is. I actually was planning on beating the story by myself before playing with friends, since that's what I usually do with games anyway. You'll miss out in some fireteam interaction, but you still get the cool moments with other players in the public spaces.

Yep, and then go replay them with your friends! That's my plan.

I talked about this a few co-op nights ago. This is the first Bungie game where I'm tempted to play it co-op on my first playthrough--that's what it's designed for, after all. I'm torn, though, for the reasons Cody brings up. One of the reasons I enjoy Co-op Nights is the social aspect. For instance, Paddy's unique stream of jabberwocky is joyously entertaining, and I don't mind not hearing in-game dialogue I've heard 100 times before. That said, I've tried to make those nights more difficult so that there are times when we're forced to concentrate on winning, and the only communication is about the gameplay as it happens. I'm torn when I play co-op even now, you see. One reason I don't like playing in joinable parties is that people who aren't playing the game can join and start talking about whatever, and there are times that's okay. I'm a hypocrite because I've crashed other people's games myself, but if I'm in roleplaying mode, or if I'm playing with someone who i know doesn't know the game as well as I do, then it really, really bugs me because I assume that they want a level of immersion similar to what I would want on my first time through.

My favorite way to enjoy a game is to act like I'm playing a part in a play, or even better, to pretend I really am Master Chief and I'm really in this situation. For Reach and ODST I imagined a backstory for my character, and I tried to experience the game as he (or she) would. Is that doable in co-op? I mean, on some level all these games are like virtual cosplay, but I'd like a fireteam that is serious when they need to be, but willing to laugh at mistakes and crazy stuff that happens, too. Respect for story elements as they appear is a must, of course, and takes precedence over any other kind of communication. Am I weird? Do I take it too seriously? Is it silly to want teammates who are willing to get in character with me?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread