Vex spex (Destiny)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Friday, August 22, 2014, 12:43 (3546 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Some Vex speculation here.

There's something strangely religious about the Vex; their sacrifices on Venus, their Burning Shrine on Mercury. We also know they traveled back in time.

Where was that confirmed? I don't think they've said anything about time travel since spring other than saying they seem like they're from another place and time. (Yes, this is largely wishful thinking on my part because I don't want it involved, but it's because time travel has a tendency to ruin plot-lines and make everything in a story not matter. Even basing the story around time travel isn't a guarantee things will turn out fine, Back to the Future II proves that.)

Yes. Chris Barrett said this about them last December:

They’re creating armies. They’re creating these big warp gates around the solar system. They can potentially bring in armies from elsewhere. They might time travel or come from another distant time. Where they came from or when they came from is inscrutable. They’re not shiny, brand new, right off of the assembly line. They’re made of almost something that feels like hammered brass or something that could be thousands of years old. But that mixed with the robotic design of them gives you that [feel] of ancient robots.

So, no? That's exactly what I'm talking about, he said they might time travel, or come from a distant time. He talks about them feeling ancient, which implies the distant time is in the past and they've just continued to exist up to the present day. I mean, if they time traveled from the past, they shouldn't feel so ancient, should they? They would've just got here.

More recently there was this bit of promotion about the Vex having Pocket Worlds beyond space and time.

That's interesting, but without more information it's just sci-fi fluff.

You might not like it, but questions surrounding when they come from is part of their story.

Questions are fine, they're good, and questions about the origin of the Vex are good, and questions about when they're from and even whether they time traveled are probably good, I just hope the answer is that they didn't time travel, because it throws the significance of literally everything into question and makes you wonder if there's a point to anything.
It can be used well. Outside of the paradox in the second movie and the things that depend on it, the Back to the Future movies used it well, what I've seen of Futurama used it well, and there was a short story right here on the forum about a year ago that I thought used it well called Recursive Action. It's just that time travel makes it hard to maintain meaning and drama and avoid contradictions and just keep things going like they were-- the Terminator movies are probably a good example there.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread