Vex spex (Destiny)

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Sunday, August 24, 2014, 21:03 (3543 days ago) @ General Vagueness

Off the top of my head:

- Vex built in distant past. Vex get old in distant past. Then Vex time travel to their future (our present) and look old to us.
- Vex built in distant future. Vex get old in distant future. Then Vex time travel to their past (our present) and look old to us.
- Vex built whenever and time travel to our present but the act of time traveling itself ages them so they look old to us.

Yes, and going by Occam's razor the more likely explanation is that they're just old. (I realize of course that this is not just fiction but sci-fantasy, and the simplest explanation is often boring; that doesn't take away from the logical grounds of it.)

Actually, Occam's Razor says nothing about their time traveling. Just that they're old in some way or form, which noone has tried to deny.

What? I meant "the simplest explanation tends to be the correct one", with the one that doesn't involve time travel being simpler. I looked it up to check, and apparently it's more about how many assumptions are made, which also would support the "they're just old" stance, because otherwise you have to assume time travel exists in the Destiny universe, and it can be controlled, and the Vex (or their creators) found a way to use it and control it, and they decided to send the Vex to this time period and succeeded (or they accidentally sent the Vex to this time period, which would be really interesting), and there are physical or practical restrictions on it that prevent them from achieving whatever they wanted to do immediately or at least very quickly (since they're still around doing stuff).

Except that Occam's Razor just would state that they are old regardless of any time travel. It would be a strike against the idea that they aged via time travel, though.

Anyway, I think he was talking more about their aesthetics, the hammered brass look and whatever else-- hammered brass says ancient Greek/Roman era (I think), in human terms.

The aesthetics for whatever made them wouldn't necessarily correlate, and even if they are from our past that isn't a strike against time travel.

I wasn't trying to say that was a strike against time travel, I was saying I thought that statement was more about how they seem than how they are, and that because of that it doesn't really tell us about how they are-- but that's just my reading of it, I could be wrong.

I see. I read it as both?

I said in the beginning this is largely wishful thinking (which has now increased, having realized that telling us that and having it be true would be a spoiler to some degree). I think I'm well within reason to say what I said, though. I think the things I pointed out do indicate reasonable doubt of the hard factuality of the Vex time-traveling.
And hey, this is all rampant speculation anyway, this is supposed to be fun. Maybe I came off too serious, I'm sorry if I did.

Anyone saying that Vex time travel is confirmed is being silly, but you might have come off too strong in your statements against it?

Whoa, OK, I think you might be going into this too heavily.
That's not what I meant. I meant this whole thing ultimately doesn't matter much and talking about it is mainly just for fun.
Since you bring it up, it may have been confirmed at some point, but I think it's in question now and was in question before whatever confirmation it might have had.

Well apparently I did the thing where it sounds like I'm disagreeing with someone who I'm not. Sorry.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread