Vex spex (Destiny)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Friday, August 22, 2014, 23:23 (3545 days ago) @ Ragashingo

So, no? That's exactly what I'm talking about, he said they might time travel, or come from a distant time. He talks about them feeling ancient, which implies the distant time is in the past and they've just continued to exist up to the present day. I mean, if they time traveled from the past, they shouldn't feel so ancient, should they? They would've just got here.

You're being ridiculous. There's several ways they can time travel and look old.

You're being ridiculous, because I never said they couldn't. I said it implies they've been around the whole time.

Off the top of my head:

- Vex built in distant past. Vex get old in distant past. Then Vex time travel to their future (our present) and look old to us.
- Vex built in distant future. Vex get old in distant future. Then Vex time travel to their past (our present) and look old to us.
- Vex built whenever and time travel to our present but the act of time traveling itself ages them so they look old to us.

Yes, and going by Occam's razor the more likely explanation is that they're just old. (I realize of course that this is not just fiction but sci-fantasy, and the simplest explanation is often boring; that doesn't take away from the logical grounds of it.)
Anyway, I think he was talking more about their aesthetics, the hammered brass look and whatever else-- hammered brass says ancient Greek/Roman era (I think), in human terms.

Furthermore, Bungie knows if they time traveled. They certainly knew by the end of last year if the Vex time traveled. That Chris Barrett brought time travel up at all, unprompted, tells us a lot and tells us time travel has at least something to do with the Vex. Ignoring it is foolish.

I'm not ignoring it, if I was ignoring it I would have at least not addressed it and probably stopped posting.
They do know the Vex's origin, but that doesn't mean they're telling us, and it doesn't mean they're telling us directly and without wavering-- and they shouldn't tell us directly, don't you think that's kind of a spoiler?

That's interesting, but without more information it's just sci-fi fluff.

Again, wrong. It is more evidence in favor of time travel.

Being "beyond space and time" is so vague and cliché as to be almost meaningless, all it really says is "hey whoo sci-fi look sci-fi", and for that matter "pocket worlds" isn't a lot better.

Exactly what the Vex do we don't know, but throwing it out because we don't yet know everything is not how this works. We gather evidence and make theories that best fit that evidence. We do not gather evidence, throw out evidence we don't like, then make a theory, which is what you seem to be doing.

I said in the beginning this is largely wishful thinking (which has now increased, having realized that telling us that and having it be true would be a spoiler to some degree). I think I'm well within reason to say what I said, though. I think the things I pointed out do indicate reasonable doubt of the hard factuality of the Vex time-traveling.
And hey, this is all rampant speculation anyway, this is supposed to be fun. Maybe I came off too serious, I'm sorry if I did.

It's just that time travel makes it hard to maintain meaning and drama and avoid contradictions

Yes, time travel in a universe is tricky. But as you said it can be done well. And just because it often isn't don't mean you get to throw out evidence as "fluff" just because you don't like the idea.

I said that about one thing, not all of this evidence. If I remember correctly, that was flavor text for a weapon or a pre-order bonus, not something that was really "about" the Vex. That and what I noted above lead me to call it fluff. I will say I'm not 100% positive on the origin though and regardless of that we could end up finding it in information tied to the Vex more closely, and it could end up being important... it's just that it's still vague and cliché and feels like fluff.
I'll also note that everything I pointed out is a work of comedy. Not making sense and having certain problems of plot and logic can work in your favor if you're making a comedy.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread