Vex spex (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, August 22, 2014, 13:15 (3546 days ago) @ General Vagueness

So, no? That's exactly what I'm talking about, he said they might time travel, or come from a distant time. He talks about them feeling ancient, which implies the distant time is in the past and they've just continued to exist up to the present day. I mean, if they time traveled from the past, they shouldn't feel so ancient, should they? They would've just got here.

You're being ridiculous. There's several ways they can time travel and look old. Off the top of my head:

- Vex built in distant past. Vex get old in distant past. Then Vex time travel to their future (our present) and look old to us.
- Vex built in distant future. Vex get old in distant future. Then Vex time travel to their past (our present) and look old to us.
- Vex built whenever and time travel to our present but the act of time traveling itself ages them so they look old to us.

Furthermore, Bungie knows if they time traveled. They certainly knew by the end of last year if the Vex time traveled. That Chris Barrett brought time travel up at all, unprompted, tells us a lot and tells us time travel has at least something to do with the Vex. Ignoring it is foolish.

That's interesting, but without more information it's just sci-fi fluff.

Again, wrong. It is more evidence in favor of time travel. Exactly what the Vex do we don't know, but throwing it out because we don't yet know everything is not how this works. We gather evidence and make theories that best fit that evidence. We do not gather evidence, throw out evidence we don't like, then make a theory, which is what you seem to be doing.

It's just that time travel makes it hard to maintain meaning and drama and avoid contradictions

Yes, time travel in a universe is tricky. But as you said it can be done well. And just because it often isn't don't mean you get to throw out evidence as "fluff" just because you don't like the idea.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread