My thoughts...

by thebruce ⌂, Ontario, Canada, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 11:27 (4076 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Coming from the direction of logo/practicality first, and cool-factor later, here's what I think could work, given the guidelines from the TPTB...

* E1/G3 - but the cityscape could cause problems at lower resolutions, and putting a larger container around the B.Org logo makes the core of the logo relatively smaller =/ (at least if scaled to the current logo)
* A2 - of course, if nothing were to change :P
* A3 - angled base logo with the ship/contrail connection to Destiny is nice, though the ship itself could be made smaller or less detailed
* G4/E6/G6 - I actually like the centered logo and the sphere border which isn't too much wider, and the simple outer dot/traveler is sort of Destiny-related and a teaser
* I5 - An interesting take, very simple, but missing a clear BO logo reference =/
* D7 - rounded D variant of this is nice; similar to G4 regarding border, but the D left side gives the Destiny connection

Concerns:
* contrail/ship through the ring - like kapowaz, I find it jarring. The implication of the sphere is that it's round surrounded by a ring, so it comes off more like an optical illusion than a logo =/
* text within the logo - without variants that don't include text, it's more suited to a logo variant than the base logo, unless the text IS the logo (like the big D) (but not too much text; letter=shape)
* multi-coloured/layered - too much going on, especially if more than 2 colours (incl black)
* horizontally flipped B.Org logo variants, or rotated too much - I don't think they're as easily recognizable; slightly rotated isn't as bad

Other comments:
* Border/framing ideas are great to keep on file if the logo inside can be adjusted to whatever's chosen
* Traveler damage & cityscape I think are elements better applied to larger variants than base logo due to their detail

Disclaimer:
All of the above is IMO as a graphic designer/developer. No offense intended for any existing design (heck I'm critical of my own :P), just honest thoughts given the guidelines put forth by TPTB. :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread