Isn't PvP fun at another's expense by design? (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, October 10, 2014, 10:21 (3491 days ago) @ stabbim
edited by Korny, Friday, October 10, 2014, 10:31

By your description, any teammate who goes negative in a game is not playing the game correctly, since it's at your expense...

That's not really the same thing, since it's not being done intentionally.

Losing a game because you were going for sniper kills isn't losing intentionally either.

I got a 16.0 K/D earlier today, but then switched my gear around to level up some stuff that I just got and stopped doing so well (I even went negative in a game or two)... Since I knowingly made myself less efficient, am I intentionally playing at the expense of others, and am I a bad person for doing so?

Cody seems to think so...

Either way, 99% of the time, winning isn't my main objective in a game, having fun is. I could not care less whether my team is doing well or not (and I'm oftentimes the only person on my team who goes positive). I do what I enjoy doing, whether it be mastering the tricky Fusion Rifles, sniping people through walls, or even trying to get killed strategically in order to make great use of my Radiance and send the enemy team into a panic...

I definitely believe in PTFO, though, but like Cody said himself, winning is not the be-all-end-all point of the game. If you're not having fun, who cares if you're winning? Chasing bounties can be fun, so disregard folks who only want you to be playing the game in a way that they approve of...

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread