Safe and Reliable Is Always < Fun (Destiny)

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Monday, November 17, 2014, 19:35 (3474 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Why would you cheese (a word I'm still learning the definition of) when you could have fun? Letting the investment system alter the way you play is your choice, not Bungie's. All the loot and bounties, etc. are just incentives for me to go have fun.

Because, engaging with the investment system is tied to your ability to have fun. Go run the raid on hard without gear and tell me how much fun that is. I don't want an incentive to have fun: just let me have fun. The investment system is a hoop to jump through before you can have fun.

I didn't need Destiny's investment system for incentives at all until after something like a month or two of playing. Now that I've spent so much time in it, I like having something to point me in a direction to jumpstart my own path. If ODST had come with some daily bounty things, it would have extended the life of it for me, because after I had run out of ideas after many playthroughs, I would have had a little jumpstarter tool to help inspire me to find more fun in places I hadn't tried before. Reach's campaign challenges sometimes led to a lot of fun after I had already played levels to death on their own, and I wasn't doing it for credits to buy armor.

Sometimes I can sit down and draw something. Sometimes I need to look at a book or a magazine to inspire me. That's what Daily Missions and Bounties are to me.

As for hoops, beating a level before you get to the next one is a hoop. Or any game that has any unlocking moves, weapons, etc. So something like 90% of all games ever made have hoops. And Destiny's hoops don't get in the way of my fun. I've never tried the Raid on hard because that doesn't sound like fun to me in the first place, personally.

This is how I play the game.

1. "What should I do today?"
2. Go look at bounties, dailies, find something to do.
3. Go do that, usually get into some kind of hijinks or distracted by something else fun.
4. Turn in bounties and upgrade stuff if I can and go to sleep.

This is amusing, because the bounties are all unimaginative filler bullshit :-p

Well, I'm glad my enjoyment is amusing to you? I... guess I'm too stupid to realize the filler bullshit I'm steeped in?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread