I will never again pay for anything prior to its release. (Destiny)

by car15, Wednesday, November 26, 2014, 13:08 (3448 days ago) @ Korny

ME3 was a mostly great game, but it was clearly rushed out the door. There were so many cut corners and missed opportunities. If you hold it up to the standard of today's underwhelming AAA releases, it's not so bad, but compared to the first two Mass Effect games, it was an enormous let-down.

* Auto-dialogue.

* Shitty fetch quests that trigger from overhearing part of a random conversation.

* Zaeed and Kasumi-like interaction with team rather than full-scale conversations.

* Journal sucks.

* Required MP.

* Only 1 hub world.

* Linear "tunnel shooter" level designs everywhere else.

* Severely reduced role of ME2 squadmates.

* Femshep love interests got thrown under the bus. (Thane, Jacob)

* Unclear effects of important dialogue options. (Rannoch comes to mind.)

* Complete character assassination of Jacob in every way... I wasn't much of a fan of him in ME2, but even I can see that BioWare shat all over him.

* War Assets. (Let's break your complex interactions with the denizens of the galaxy down into an arbitrary number.)

* Your choices don't actually matter.

* The final mission fails to live up to its potential.

* Precisely how did the Illusive Man get onto the Citadel again?

* The ending sucks. Even with the Extended Cut, it makes no sense.

* The developers lied about the ending. This isn't a "Bungie lied about Destiny" complaint. BioWare openly and deliberately lied about the ending and how player choice would factor into how it played out. They did this throughout the development process right up until the week before launch. That was absolutely inexcusable.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread