Canon Foddered

by biggy ⌂ @, Tinseltown, Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 21:56 (4062 days ago) @ GrimBrother One

There is obviously an overarching narrative that give players a sense of direction and the universe of Destiny a reason for existing, but what really excites me is the aspect of player authorship. I don't think Destiny will go the Mass Effect decision tree route, but I do see the world supporting a player's personal adventure.

"We want to build a universe where any crazy shit can happen."

"The story you and your friend can tell about that night two weeks ago when you went there and did that thing and got that stuff, that's going to be so much better than any story I could ever dream up."

"We're building something alive, it has a nature that we don't totally control. Things are going to happen that we don't plan and that's amazing."

I think Destiny is a game sandbox in the purest sense. It's a world(s) where the AI and the game mechanics allow for a crazy amount amount of possibilities, experiences and encounters that will be unique and completely awesome.

My fondest game moments (recent ones) are from games like Skyrim, Far Cry 3, or Red Dead Redemption where the game world supports crazy stuff that I don't quite expect, not those heavily scripted scenarios. Just wish those game had co-op.

My idea of a Destiny scenario:
One minute I'm on Mars looking for loot with my buddies and we get attacked my Time Traveling Robots so we try to escape on our hover bikes to get back to our spaceships but we are chased through Mars' barren desert. We lose the Robots, but are split up. We decide to hop in our spaceships and meet up on Venus (because we can) and we encounter another group of players on a quest/mission that we can decide to help, leave alone, or cause trouble. We decide to help them and fight off Space Zombies to finish the mission and then our two parties part ways to find another adventure. I log-off and log-on the next night to find that the world has continued to live and breathe. Time to get back into the action.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread