The game is 3 months old (Destiny)

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Wednesday, December 17, 2014, 10:02 (3592 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by iconicbanana, Wednesday, December 17, 2014, 10:57

I am pretty sure that you won't get new modes until Destiny 2, or the 'comet' DLC if it still exists.

Maybe not! I know they're certainly half way there, since they have variants of their current playlists coming soon.

You won't get it for free. Halo had a nice package that had a lot and you only paid for it once.

I don't think DLC is going away. That's not a Bungie decision, or even an Activision decision. It's an industry decision. And so far, the customers of this industry haven't voiced any actual dissent (read: $$$) to it. If everyone keeps buying it, that's how it's going to be.

If developing cross generation cost them the ability to make more multiplayer modes, then that's a serious downside and I hope Destiny 2 is PS4 / Xbox only.

I would honestly be shocked if it wasn't.

The moral is that yes, you can add this stuff later, but it not only LOOKS better to get it right the first time, but it IS better. Waiting to play this game till spring, even fall, of 2015 would have been totally worth it if we had more modes, an investment system that isn't in turmoil, and a better story and missions.

Most of the issues that people have with Destiny seem to be those of preconception vs reality. If you're judging the game off of what's there, I think you have foundations. Maybe polish would have come with another year of development, but I don't think the foundation of the game would be very different.

Diversity of content is great. It's certainly better than an investment system. If Destiny never made it past the first title, I don't think it would be considered much of a success. But the first title might simply be the case Bungie is making to Activision to go ahead with a whole series. If Bungie needed to put one foot forward at some point, then the foundation of the game is probably what they focused on, with the investment system slapped on to make up for the lack of content.

I'm fine with that because, in the PvP scene, I think Bungie delivered a really tight product. I play the hell out of crucible, and I find it rewarding for what it is. More content would be nice, sure, but if the foundation wasn't so tight, content wouldn't matter. I, for my part, am willing to wait for more content. I can certainly understand frustration if you find the content lacking; I guess, as I don't, it's more of a moot point to me.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread