Isn't it great that there are other things to do in life? (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, January 11, 2015, 11:14 (3540 days ago) @ snakegriffin

This. That's almost 25% of a standard american work year. Totally useless statistic, but time is not something you get back. If it ain't fun, or enriching your life, don't do it. Personal choice and all, but I tend to take the pragmatic route.

Right, but this isn't how it should go out.

For instance: On finishing the Last of Us I thought "Wow! What an amazing journey, great ending, and wonderful characters. This game was incredible. I finally beat it on survivor, and it felt good. What a wonderful experience". Then I put it down and haven't played since. It leaves you on a high note.

Destiny? It's constant disappointment and burnout. Even finishing the story mode the first time I was filled with not a sense of satisfaction, but a sense of disappointment. On reaching level 20 and being told that was the start of the game, Ifind out that's a lie. Level 20 means the game is over, and it's just gear grinding. Even more disappointment. Rather than be inspired to play more, I nearly quit because grinding for the raid is so bad. And here I am now, just watching Destiny fizzle out. You want to leave the player satisfied or wanting more, not feeling like they've had enough of your bullshit.

Destiny is the exact opposite of how a great game should leave you. Designing a game to never end is a bad idea. MMOs are terrible genres. I may have more hours with Destiny, but games like Wolfenstein New Order and Last of Us were simply better games.

Same thing is happening to Halo: it's like watching it just crawl along weaker and weaker until eventually it'll just run out of strength and die. It should just have crossed the finish line and went out on top.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread