Question about TLoU for owners (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, March 06, 2015, 15:58 (3341 days ago) @ RC
edited by Korny, Friday, March 06, 2015, 16:02

I got it for Christmas, started it recently and wasn't very impressed. Feels like a mix between splinter cell and half-life that doesn't let you actually play half as much as either of those two. I only just got out of the city (soon after the 'secret' about the little girl is revealed) and had to stop because I was so bored.

Every time I play the game (ninth playthrough now), the first part does feel annoyingly slow, but that's more because I know what comes after (something about rain scenes at night in games always drains me).

From where you are, the game definitely picks up in pace, but ultimately it's a slow, stealth-based tactical shooter, because you're not drowning in ammo all the time. But you really should play it more for the story than the desire to shoot stuff dead. Heck, I've gotten through a huge chunk of the game without ever firing a bullet, because I see rooms as puzzles rather than battlefields, and that's my favorite type of game (Played through every Metal Gear multiple times because of that).

If you want my advice, bump the difficulty up a notch or two. You really gain an appreciation for skill and situational awareness, because the game dumps the forgiving nature of Normal difficulty real quick.

The presentation is nice - I'll give it that - but is the actual game here worth playing? Does it get better soon? Am I just too used to shooters to appreciate this game? Was it hyped too much?

The problem with hyping this game is that people go in expecting Michael Bay spectacle, or Game of Thrones-tier drama... But it's more of a great book that gives you a moment of pause when you finish the last page, and you don't know what to do afterwards...

But it's definitely worth the ride, even if methodical gameplay isn't your thing.

PS. Multiplayer is really, really good too... but again, slow and methodical. Every encounter is terrifying, painful, and meaningful...

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread