Question about TLoU for owners (Gaming)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, March 06, 2015, 18:26 (3341 days ago) @ RC

I got it for Christmas, started it recently and wasn't very impressed. Feels like a mix between splinter cell and half-life that doesn't let you actually play half as much as either of those two. I only just got out of the city (soon after the 'secret' about the little girl is revealed) and had to stop because I was so bored.

The presentation is nice - I'll give it that - but is the actual game here worth playing? Does it get better soon? Am I just too used to shooters to appreciate this game? Was it hyped too much?

My first time playing TLOU, I found the gameplay underwhelming. I was gripped by the story, so I stuck with it, but I struggled with the gameplay almost the whole way through.

Then I played it again on the highest difficulty level... WOW.

Here's the thing: TLoU is a STEALTH game. It has guns, and encourages you to use them, much to the game's detriment. The gun play is not particularly fun or satisfying. But as a stealth game, it is mechanically incredible.

The great thing about playing on the higher difficulty levels is that it forces you to approach it as a stealth game. You get almost no ammo and take so much damage that full-on combat just isn't an option. Plus they remove the "listen" mode which adds an insane amount of tension to the game.

I've now played through the game start to finish 5 times, and every single playthrough has been a powerful and moving experience. My favorite game of all time, by a long shot.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread