Question about TLoU for owners (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, March 06, 2015, 20:19 (3341 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Then I played it again on the highest difficulty level... WOW.

Here's the thing: TLoU is a STEALTH game. It has guns, and encourages you to use them, much to the game's detriment. The gun play is not particularly fun or satisfying. But as a stealth game, it is mechanically incredible.

The great thing about playing on the higher difficulty levels is that it forces you to approach it as a stealth game. You get almost no ammo and take so much damage that full-on combat just isn't an option. Plus they remove the "listen" mode which adds an insane amount of tension to the game.

I've now played through the game start to finish 5 times, and every single playthrough has been a powerful and moving experience. My favorite game of all time, by a long shot.

So much this. That's part of why I said to raise the difficulty. You get much fewer supplies, so every choice on what to do with your resources becomes crucial. On Normal, something like a Molotov is a novelty, and you find enough health packs around to not have to worry about taking a bullet or two. On Survivor or Grounded, a Molotov is a blessing, and every Health pack that you use is a painful loss. And here's the thing... They both use the same resources to craft, so you have to choose which one you want to have, because you won't have enough resources to craft the other for a good while.

I've spent hours perfecting a single encounter to minimize resource usage, which is difficult, because Grounded difficulty removes every other checkpoint in the game, so you might find yourself sent back to an area you had trouble on already... It's rough, but extremely satisfying, because so little is random. It's mostly about your actions, and their consequences. So few games make our choices so meaningful, and so few games can successfully pull the "slowly falling apart" situations when things don't go according to plan, but you can still recover. Most games either pat you on the head for trying, or smash you with fake difficulty. On the harder difficulties, this game does neither.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread