Old Han Solo (Off-Topic)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Thursday, April 16, 2015, 23:06 (3313 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by General Vagueness, Thursday, April 16, 2015, 23:14

He doesn't really, but he never looked like a scoundrel to me in the first place, his words and actions communicated that. Now, his line about being home, that doesn't sound like a scoundrel, that sounds sentimental, but that's one line out of the whole movie.
Besides, I never cared that much for his scoundrel side. I don't want to believe he shot first because I want to believe he's a good guy. There, that should start a shitstorm about an opinion other than yours. (I do mean it, though.)

You obviously don't understand the mechanics of what must happen when a scoundrel runs up against a bigger scoundrel.

Don't feel too bad. Lucas agrees with you, but that's one reason why I wrote him off long ago. HE DOESN'T GET IT.

As I recall, he appeared in an interview wearing a "Han shot first" shirt and said around that same time that executives at Fox had made the change that prompted people getting all up in arms. So I think he gets that, at least.

That's not the point for me, though. I don't care about the dynamics beyond the surface elements. It doesn't have to be realistic. Even putting aside the junk science and mystical elements, the story is mostly very arch, and I appreciate it for what it is. I want it to be good guys versus bad guys, like it's clearly trying to be, and a good guy doesn't kill someone if there's another option. Yes, Greedo would've turned him over to Jabba, and he was probably very lucky that when Jabba did get ahold of him he just hung him on the wall like a painting, but anything could have happened, there are a thousand different ways he could've made it play out differently. I could maybe be persuaded that Han changes over the years and becomes more in line with what I'd call a good guy, that would be good character development even, but to say he always was and always will be someone that would kill a person that's not immediately putting his life in danger, and that he could probably dispatch of in other ways? I'm sorry, but that's not my Han.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread