This guy gets it... (Off-Topic)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, April 20, 2015, 19:27 (3310 days ago) @ General Vagueness

remember when you said the argument was dumb?

George Lucas' argument was dumb, and you took it up.

Maybe-- I didn't think I was, but I watched the comparison, and you're not going to like this, but the original version looks pretty cold to me, and I still think he could've gotten out of it another way. That's not to say Han is or was a bad character or a bad person, or to say his character development isn't important. Again, it's make-believe, I don't have to justify anything. I could say that little thing on Jabba's shoulder in RotJ used to be Luke's pet because that resonates with me, even though there's nothing to support that. I could even be wrong and making a dumb argument on that, but that wouldn't affect anyone else, just as this doesn't. I trust that you're mature enough to not think I'm dumb because I want to pretend about a pretend universe.

I never said that YOU were dumb. I find Lucas' explanation for the change dumb because it's aligned with the silly (and recent) notion that you cannot be justified in killing someone unless they have assaulted you first. The immediate danger to your life is what matters, and that's been the standard in common law for centuries. You cannot wait until you've almost been killed or (obviously) KILLED killed to react defensively. Han Solo could not have survived in the world he lived in if he waited until everyone about to shoot him shot first before he shot back. So yes, the scene did reveal something about him (that he's no chump), and that's why the change was criticized.

I also think the original was better dramatically because it ratchets up the tension, the smoke cloud obscures the action so you don't know who shot, and when the smoke clears Han is the victor. It's also difficult to believe that Greedo would have missed from across the table.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread