Destiny as an Episodic Narrative

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Friday, April 05, 2013, 10:58 (4011 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Star systems are such a modular concept. I'd wager new systems with a handful of planets would fit quite well as DLC episodes, if not simply new areas on planets within our own system.

~M

I love (and by love I mean hate) how gamers are now actually embracing DLC. OOOOHHHH! That's a good thing to not include in the game so you can sell it to me later!

I hate you all. :-p

There's a difference between shitty day-one DLC and DLCs that are essentially mini-sequels or short stories that allow designers to play with an engine they've now mastered. When I talk about DLC episodes, I'm talking about the equivalent of the Half Life 2 episodes - enjoyable/meaningful extensions of an established game engine. Great examples off the top of my head would be Skyrim's Dawnguard and Dragonborn. Other examples would be Arkham City's Harley's Revenge and the Mass Effect's Lair of the Shadow Broker. Although I don't agree on all of their pricings, these extensions really show improvement. You can see in them that the designers have figured out some things from the finished game now that the dust has settled and have gone back in for another go. And then they get to reap what they learned from these episodes for their next game.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread