Destiny as an Episodic Narrative

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, April 05, 2013, 16:45 (4037 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I know this is a major sticking point with you, I am just curious how you expect game developers to make money.

Oh gee, I dunno. Maybe how they did it before DLC was common (and consequently when the industry was at its peak financially), by making a quality game with tons of stuff already included and selling it for a fixed price.

Honestly a big part of the problem recently is the fact that a lot of game companies are starting to fail or lose money, so they have to find ways to make money. The argument to me should not be whether or not there is DLC but whether or not there is quality content. Both in the game and in the DLC. I have never felt ripped off by a Bungie game, they tend to have enough content to make me feel my $60 was worth it. Also there are several examples of games that have had worthwhile DLC (read the rest of this thread for examples). I am not under the impression whatsoever that Bungie is holding back on content for Destiny to put it in DLC. Just like what Ken Levine says about DLC for Bioshock Infinite, if they cut content for the game it was because it wasn't good enough. Do game companies need DLC to support their company in between games? Possibly. Does that mean it should (or will) suck? No.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread