Destiny as an Episodic Narrative

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 18:24 (4034 days ago) @ Jillybean

Well let me raise a counter to that quote.

Just because one person feels emotional longing when ET flies away, doesn't mean I don't cringe and find the whole movie uncomfortable.

We don't all experience stories the same way, and we don't all experience the same story. Nor do you have to find everything emotionally wrenching to enjoy it. I was at the theatre the other night (because I'm a classy bitch) to see an adaption of Taking Over the Asylum. I found the original TV series quite harrowing, but the play is charming and funny and much more light hearted. I cried at one point, not the part I expected to cry at. I expected I'd find the big reveal about Francine's condition to be the saddest, as that's what got me in the TV series. In the play, I found myself crying at a part where Francine makes a bit of progress with her condition. It's the same story in two different mediums, two different lengths, one of them much more interactive than the other, and both affected me in different ways. They were both very enjoyable.

First of all, thank you for at least reading what I consider one of the most important articles ever written about gaming. Second, what you are describing above is what's called 'taste' and 'intent of the artist', both of which have nothing to do with the point I, or the article are making.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread