All About the Benjamins

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Wednesday, May 01, 2013, 09:39 (4007 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Let's see. Since 2006 console sales have been declining (and PC sales have been going up).

1. 2006 was the beginning of the current console era
2. Do you mean PC sales, or PC game sales?
3. PC games typically feature microtransactions even more prominently than console games, especially in MMOs

So putting 2 and 2 together… is it possible that sales are slumping because people are tired of this microtransaction DLC bullshit that's common on consoles, but NOT on the PC?

You've already identified in your post that you're aware correlation does not equal causation, so I don't need to bring that up.

I think we might be arguing using different definitions. I define "microtransactions" as things like "you can buy this armor for 3000 EXP or $3.50." I define "DLC" separately as I guess kind of a "packaged experience." More single-player missions, more multi-player maps, etc. A step between a full game and a microtransaction. I'll admit console games have more DLC, but PC games have more microtransactions.

The best evidence for the success or failure of the microtransaction model would come from comparing the revenue generated by two versions of the same game, one priced traditionally and one supported by microtransactions. Since that scenario is unlikely to ever actually happen, the next-best indicator is how frequently video game companies are adopting the model, to which the answer is "very." If the microtransaction model was a dud, it would have been abandoned quickly. Instead it's only becoming more and more prevalent. You could excuse small developers for experimenting with faulty business models, but not titans like EA and Activision.

For the record, I hate microtransactions and I hope Destiny doesn't have them. But it's fairly obvious the model is a huge success.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread