All About the Benjamins

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Wednesday, May 01, 2013, 10:13 (4012 days ago) @ Cody Miller

3. What reason would they have to not include microtransactions, given it's already been proven to be an extremely successful model and it would mesh well with their selling points of weapon variety and customization options?

Let's see. Since 2006 console sales have been declining (and PC sales have been going up). I don't recall aggressive microtransactions in many, if any, games prior to 2005. People hate them.

[Bold is my emphasis]

If you are referring to the number of Computers purchased vs. that of gaming consoles you may be correct, but overall PC sales are actually going down. Desktops in particular are in decline and laptops are not fairing much better due to the popularity and versatility of tablets (not just ipads, but android and windows systems).

So putting 2 and 2 together… is it possible that sales are slumping because people are tired of this micro-transaction DLC bullshit that's common on consoles, but NOT on the PC?

It seems to me that it is not that successful from that perspective. Do they have anything to do with one another? I don't know, but it's not impossible.

If you are trying to argue that gamers are flocking to high end desktops I'd have to disagree with you. While PC gaming is still popular I struggle to think of it as mainstream as consoles have become.

Lastly, if we're going to go into populations, I'd say that your attention should be pointed to the tablet and other ultra mobile platforms- that is the new booming market that is going to eat into console AND PC gaming, and that model of micro-transactions in tablet based gaming is not only popular but quite successful. "Free to play" is the new model, and buying in game items is the source of revenue. I would fully expect consoles to head that way in a few years or on a modified system.

Fear not though, for as long as there are PC gamers there will always be free lobbies for them to gather and play to look down on console and tablet pleebs. It's just not as popular as perhaps you want it to be.

PC gaming requires a lot of time and attention compared to consoles, and tablets even less so compared to them both. Your average consumer and casual gamer is not going to go into a Micro Center or FRY's like you and I would- they'd also balk at the notion of needing to upgrade their rig every year just to keep playing the latest and greatest games. With a console, they just buy the games and dlc, and maybe a peripheral now and then. With a tablet they just download the free game and buy ingame content $1 a time as they wish (being pretty general there, as it depends on the game obviously).

To each their own, Cody, but I think you need to make your peace with the fact that your average Joe consumer & casual gamer doesn't seem to mind paying for content in spurts as they want it. Yeah, in the long run they could end up blowing hundreds of dollars on in game currency or content in farmville than you would in say, (IDK, spit-balling here) Star Craft or something but thats their choice.

The consumer is going to go for whatever gives them the less sticker shock on first glance, and in that scenario the tablet and console will beat the PC. However, to your favor I would say, is that the average consumer is also an idiot and doesn't see whats wrong with paying $1 each time they want a skin or hat or smurf berry (for the game they probably paid nothing for) until they get their credit card bill and have to explain or justify why they blew $200 on something they can never tangibly hold.

Again, slice it any way you want, but it still comes down to preference and knowledge on the subject and your average casual gamer isn't as "with it" as the denizens here for example.

Vote with your wallet Cody.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread