The irony of customization

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, May 02, 2013, 15:27 (4010 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The irony of this sort of customization is that it's expression in the worst possible way, in the sense that you're expressing yourself through consumption rather than creation.

You think that bacon skin makes you unique? There's thousands of other people who have it too. All you have to do is spend $1. Hardly an expression of uniqueness, and is really just its own sort of conformity.

Yeah, I don't think most people are trying to be unique though honestly. For example, I don't think anyone is under the impression that the Master Chief armor they bought for their XBox Live Avatar is "unique" they just think it's cool. Buying it because people do or do not have it seems ridiculous. If you like it and have expendable money that's the reason to buy it. The main reason I've never bought something like that is because I've never thought the skins or anything are cool enough to justify the $1-$5 that various games and services charge for them. A major part of that being I think they should be unlockable in the game anyway without having to pay.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread