Mind -> BLOWN | The nature of the Exo (via reddit) (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, June 11, 2015, 14:07 (3247 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

It's a good theory but he missed some stuff. Specifically, stuff about the Exos. In Ghost Fragment: Exo we have an Exo trying to reason with us about his existence. That both we and he are machines, one biological and one super high tech / mechanical. But then he asks the question:

Why does a war machine have emotions? Why should a war machine have awareness? These are not useful traits on the battlefield. Don't flatter yourself. They are not useful. So why should the Exo mind mimic the human architecture so closely?

and concludes:

I think someone wanted to live forever.

That doesn't really fit with the story of the Ishtar scientists. At least not yet...

I am however fully on board with the Exo Stranger being one of the scientists. Note in her card:

Stories of an Exo who walks in the Darkness without a Ghost have long haunted the Tower. Legends say this anomaly dissolves in and out of the world, intangible and elusive, as if she is a visitor from somewhere beyond.

Some believe she's the last of an ancient Exo squadron, fighting a long-forgotten war. Others dismiss her as a hallucination caused by exposure to Vex technology. But there are those who maintain that her intervention saved their lives - or averted unspeakable catastrophes

That's a nice dovetailing of the stories there.

A couple of side notes:

1. Their copies were rescued from a Vex simulation and now they've all voted to go explore in the Vex network. Surely that ends very badly for most of them, right?! That said, the Ishtar Archive had "mappings of a Vex underworld. A place called the Vault of Glass." Maybe now we can guess where those mappings came from?

2. Is it just me, or does connecting a Warmind to a Vex mind, even to rescue some trapped Humans, sound like a really really bad idea? It's interesting that our Warminds were more powerful than a Vex would could perfectly simulate 227 realities at once, but I can't imagine that everything went as perfectly with the rescue and neural firewalling as we're led to believe here. I wonder which Warmind it was that they contacted...

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread