He removed all agency (Destiny)

by Durandal, Friday, June 12, 2015, 09:57 (3246 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I read his first two books, and he completely removes all agency from the characters. They just wander around like dumb mouth breathing tourists for most of the books. Humans also go from having this awesome empire, losing it in an epic confrontation with the rulers of the known universe, who then give it back because they have determined that humans are "special". Also, Forrunners are jerks to their creators and the rest of the universe.

Prior to that we had a largely benevolent galaxy spanning commonwealth that engaged in a centuries long war with an extremely intelligent and virulent parasite and ended up sacrificing themselves in order to save the galaxy from being eaten.

I mean according to 343's fluff the Human/Forrunner war could have been prevented by a phone call, and the current Didact's madon for humans is completely irrational.

Based on that, any Destiny novel better not be a bunch of random people with personality problems wondering about the traveler while they schlep around the solar system. I'm really sick of these epic Sci Fy backstories ignored for lame characters that end with a shallow ME3 3 color light show.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread