It's a good movie, but not a great game (Gaming)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, October 12, 2015, 17:21 (3129 days ago) @ cheapLEY

That's kind of Naughty Dog's MO now, huh? All the Uncharted Games and The Last of Us. TLoU had more fun gameplay than Uncharted, though, I think. It worked well for that game, but I wouldn't consider playing it again.

Interesting thing on that note... I'm in the middle of "watching" The Last of Us with my wife, since I thought she'd love the story but she has no interest in playing a game like that. We found a youtube video that features all the cutescenes as well as a good chunk of the story-relevant gameplay (a little over 6 hours total).

It's decent, but nowhere near as effective as actually playing the game. I was never a fan of the Uncharted series, but I think ND tapped into something special with the way they told story through gameplay in TLoU. The cutscenes are really just the tip of the iceberg. There is something about being those characters and being responsible for each other that gets lost when you just watch everything. I think it is the player's active participation in the story that allows it to connect with so many people the way it does. So in this specific example, I'd say TLoU is what it is specifically because it is a game. A movie version could be great too, but it would be a very different animal.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread