It's a good movie, but not a great game (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, October 13, 2015, 11:50 (3128 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

On the toughest setting, TLoU's mediocre shooting mechanics get thrown out the window; you never have enough ammo to shoot anything, so you quickly learn to find other ways to deal with every encounter. The game suddenly reveals itself to be a masterfully well designed stealth game. Supplies are so scarce that it forces you to make meaningful, stressful decisions about how to use what you have. "I can make a shiv or a health pack, but not both" - that kind of thing. It plays in to the dramatic tension of the story, because it puts the player more firmly into a state of stress and fear. Not what I'd call "fun", but it makes the gameplay far more meaningful than it was before.

I feel TLoU is one of those games that had to water itself down in the hopes of wider appeal. Relatively few players are interested in a slow-paced, highly punishing stealth game. But I feel that is what TLoU really is at its core.

I do recall some of that. I think I only made it about 50% of the way through on its hardest setting, and life got in the way and I never made my way back to it. ):

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread