Grimoire Team is of Varied Backgrounds (Destiny)

by squidnh3, Tuesday, February 16, 2016, 21:50 (2999 days ago) @ Kahzgul

One of the cool news items a while back was an interview with some of the (apparent?) Grimoire writers, including our own General Battuta: here.

From that, it doesn't seem like the Grimoire writers were necessarily involved with the game narrative at all, and maybe they wouldn't have wanted to be, as it wouldn't have fit their style. They were more involved with the science fiction world building, which then Bungie tried to fit a narrative into, although some back and forth must have occurred. It's hard to speculate on how exactly that must have worked.

At the end of the day, an FPS game narrative has to fill the gaps between long periods of shooting at things. I bet some of these guys would find that pretty constraining, and would prefer contributing the way that they did.

Personally, for that same reason, I'm okay with the Grimoire being separate from the game narrative, especially if that allows us to have things like the Books of Sorrow. For a while, when I was still finding them at a reasonable pace, after I was done playing for the night I would go and read the new bits I had unlocked. I think I actually prefer that to having them pop-up in game or something. It allows me to separate the gameplay (shooting at stuff, managing inventory) and the lore, so I can focus on each rather than splitting my attention.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread