I don't have much of an opinion on him. Suggest me a book? (Destiny)

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, February 17, 2016, 16:14 (2998 days ago) @ Funkmon

You know, it's weird. I'm not a Stephen King fan, but I've read more of him than a lot of authors I really like. I read Dreamcatcher, The Green Mile, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, From a Buick 8, Skeleton Crew, Night Shift, Nightmares & Dreamscapes, and Just After Sunset. I read these because over the years I've found them at the Salvation Army for like 20 cents and that's how I can buy books.

His novels I've read are completely forgettable, but some short stories stick with me, like The Jaunt, or whatever the one is where he's a doctor and slowly eats himself as he goes crazy and it ends with "they taste just like ladyfingers" or something.

Anyway, I've never read a Stephen King short story I wasn't pleased with, but I've never really enjoyed the novels I read from him, and never go out of my way for more of his books or stories. People always talk about this Maine crap he's into or some kind of shared universe, but I never noticed.

That said, I've got $12 in Amazon promotional credit for ebooks. Can you suggest me a novel that would appeal to a person who enjoys his short stories, but isn't a fan per se?

I found Misery to be pretty haunting. Rose Madder stuck with me, too. (I think it's because both are more psychologically scary than supernaturally scary. He does both pretty well, but I'll have to agree with you, some of the supernatural stuff, good while reading, fades pretty quickly.)

I loved Under The Dome, but I thought the ending was pretty weak. Same with 11/22/63 (LOVED THAT until the end). Needful Things was pretty cool - and it breaks the 'supernatural stories are forgettable' mold, a bit.

I devoured every Dark Tower book (interestingly enough, I read the first couple of chapters of the first one and got bored, and then came back to it many years later and was totally hooked), and wasn't disappointed at all by the ending. (Unfortunatley, there are more than half a dozen of them, so your $12 credit won't get you far.)

Have you considered a library card? You can check out ebooks these days... and they're free. And once you've set up an account, you don't even need to go in to get them, at most libraries. :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread