As long as it isn't Greg Bear or C.S. Goto (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, February 17, 2016, 12:59 (2998 days ago) @ Durandal

I'd probably accept Orson Scott Card. I hated the Ender's Game series but what he wrote for Shadow Complex was pretty good.

I liked all of the Ender's Game stuff, and Shadow Complex, too. I also liked Advent Rising and am still patiently waiting for a sequel. ):

I'm not entirely sure he'd be a good fit for Destiny, though. Plus there's the whole "he's a bigot" thing that Bungie would probably want to stay away from.

Mass Effect has a good story (again with the caveat about ME3's ending). I felt that ME1 and 2 were largely good, even with the minor plot holes.

Yeah, but he didn't work on those, only the new one that's not out yet.

I didn't like the whole forrunner plot in Halo 4. The captain prior to Laskey is grotesquely incompetent, and most of the other characters exhibit zero of the usual military skill and bearing that are evident in prior installments. Likewise the ME series really doesn't have the military bearing that Halo or most military SF has. About the only thing they did well was show Cortania going nuts.

To be fair, Destiny doesn't really do anything with military skill and bearing. The "military" are a bunch of childish Guardians that dance after killing their enemies and race around on Sparrows. I don't think Destiny will ever be the military sci-fi that Halo was (I actually hope it doesn't become that).

Still, I remain tentatively hopeful that this will lead to some good stories in the future.

I sure hope so!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread