Very true (Destiny)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Thursday, February 18, 2016, 18:18 (2998 days ago) @ Kahzgul

So you're saying because I made a spelling mistake my opinion doesn't count?

No, that's pretty much incidental. Calling lines bad and not just saying "this conversation is bad" or "the line telling you about X is bad" but actually quoting them (or paraphrasing), and quoting them wrong (or not even paraphrasing accurately), implies you're more interested in calling the writing bad than actually looking at how it's bad. It would take maybe one minute to check if you got the line right, probably less time than it takes to type up one of your posts, but you didn't, because (theorizing here) you care about getting across how bad it is than why it's bad. That would be fine, except quoting things is generally what people do when they want to look well-informed and smart, and doing it about a given topic and getting it wrong makes it backfire and make you look like a bit of an ass when you talk to people who have their shit together with regard to that topic. Getting the same quote (about the Vault of Glass) wrong for more than a year (which I admittedly only know because at one point I went back and read a bunch of threads I missed), that takes it to a different level.

The purpose it serves to me is mostly to let me give a snarky response to it (like "Why do you ask?" or "You wait until now to say this?" or "No, why?"). Maybe that was intended, maybe it wasn't, but I don't see anything wrong with it (in my obviously subjective view).

This is exactly the point I was making and the entire reason I brought up the example in the first place. The funniest part of that line is me, at home, in my chair, making a funny quip to mock the ghost (and the awful writing of said ghost). I expect better from entertainment that I pay for.

That's fine.

It would be interesting if the entire game script was laid out such that there were awkward silences during which the player was assumed to be filling in dialogue for the main character, but that's not a trope of the game at all, so it doesn't seem to have been the intent in this location. Add to it that the main character does occasionally speak (the "little light" line is the funniest thing from vanilla Destiny, imo), and I take that as further evidence that the writers did not intend for us to fill in the chatter that is so painfully missing. Plus, you know, it would be super hard to code dynamic responses to the player's audio that made any semblance of sense.

Again, that's what I like about it, I'm not saying it's intentional or easily reproducible.
I notice you don't address how it characterizes your Ghost.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread