This IGN article comforted me somewhat (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, September 15, 2016, 15:14 (2789 days ago) @ Xenos
edited by CruelLEGACEY, Thursday, September 15, 2016, 15:47

I wouldn't call this "pay to win" either. But as I said in my comment below, this does create a situation where people who pay extra money get more loot than those who don't (assuming equal playtimes). Keep in mind, these rep packages contain loot that cannot be obtained any other way. The only reason nobody is freaking out right now is because none of the exclusive rep package drops are particularly great, but that could change at any time.

Honestly, the reason I'm not freaking out is because the bonus it gives is so insignificant in the long run that's it's not a big deal. They only give a small boost to rep (20% I think?), and don't even affect bounties. If someone were to pay money for a reputation booster they would get an extra package for every 5 that I get. That's pretty insignificant.

I agree that it isn't significant. I'm not worked up about this or anything. But regardless of how major or minor the difference is, the fact that there is any difference at all is problematic, and justifies concern for the future. Bungie have shown that they are willing to give more game-effecting stuff to players who throw extra money at the game. If this is the state of things now, imagine how it will look in 8 years.

I firmly believe they will continue to push the limit until they break things completely. Why wouldn't they?

*edit*

Just to clarify that final statement, I'm not saying Bungie will break things completely, I'm saying that breaking the game (ie causing a significant drop in sales and/or the player base) is the only reason Bungie would change their current approach. In other words, they will keep pushing micro transactions further and further as long as the player base "allows" it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread