Inching closer to the line (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, September 15, 2016, 15:53 (2789 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

I think I understand where you are coming from for the most part. Where I get lost is this:

They keep "pushing the envelope" a tiny bit at a time.

I'm trying hard to find a difference between this incident and all the other incidents where people have gotten upset over microtransactions. To me, it feels like more of the same. Pay a little more money and you have a higher chance of RNG rewarding you. It definitely makes me uncomfortable, but I don't participate and it hasn't broken the game. How is this specifically different than the other actions in this vein?

Last time around, you could buy a more expensive version of the game, get a sweet/useless cloak, and it boosted your rep rewards. I guess I just don't see the envelope being pushed so much as they keep it putting it in the same spot and it feels a little icky each time.

It strikes me as being *slightly* different than previous micro transactions because buying these boosters leads directly to more unique legendary drops. In the past, everything you could buy was purely cosmetic (or in the case of certain pre-order bonuses, low level gear that was useless after the first 5 hours).

I'll be the first person to stand up and say "this is a really minor thing". I just feel it is important to see the distinction between these micro transactions and the ones that have come before. Plus, it helps map a trajectory. We've gone from buying emotes to buying vanity armor (which could be infused up to max level) and now we're buying a slightly higher drop-rate for end game rewards. It shows a pattern.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread