Very well said. (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, September 16, 2016, 16:12 (2788 days ago) @ Kermit

Don't disagree. I do think it's arguable on which side the problem is, the secrecy or the reactionary culture.

What is wrong with secrecy? As long as the game comes out fine, it doesn't matter does it? But I don't think Destiny came out fine.

Nothing from my perspective in this context. I like when people or organizations underpromise and overdeliver.

I think the "problem" with secrecy (more scare quotes here), is when gamers/customers feel like they are being misled. Case in point: No Man's Sky. I enjoyed the game, but there is no question that the promotion of the game and communication from the developers prior to release was horribly handled. Again, when so little is known about the development of a game, every little glimmer of info we do get is taken as gospel. Personally, I am absolutely aware that development is a flaming train wreck right up until launch, and anything and everything can change. But I do also think it is fair to say "That's fine... if you talk about a feature, and then things change and the feature gets cut, we understand. Just TELL US". Otherwise, it comes across as lying just to trick people into buying a product.

No Man's Sky is a particularly bold example. I don't think Bungie has made any mistakes on that level. But there have been bumps in the road over the past couple years with regards to communication with the community. I think Bungie realizes this, and they seem to be making real efforts to improve. It is a very challenging task; figuring out which information needs to be provided, and what needs to stay secret.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread