This IGN article comforted me somewhat (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, September 15, 2016, 17:46 (2789 days ago) @ Ragashingo

We absolutely need to be aware of what's going on, and I'm glad we have people like you keeping closer track than I am, but the narrative (certainly not just from you) feels to me like it always leans towards the negative. Especially since there is a group of people that firmly believe any micro transactions whatsoever are flat out evil.

I think this goes back to the "slippery slope" issue that you mentioned earlier. Personally, I don't think microtransactions are inherently bad, but they certainly aren't inherently good. More to the point, when I look at "gaming" overall, I think microtransactions cause far more problems than good. There are certainly exceptions. But I do understand why some people have a knee-jerk reaction against Microtransactions, because they force us to think about the game in ways that we probably don't want to think about it. I know I don't like having that doubt in the back of my mind "would I be having a better time if I paid another $5?".

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread