Don't get me wrong. (Gaming)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, February 19, 2017, 21:39 (2622 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Horizon? I can think of a couple of games with the name Horizon in them? Which game are you talking about?

Anyway, I kinda wonder now what you think is and isn't an RPG? From what you've said it kinda feels like an RPG is any game that give you the ability to hang yourself by misassigning upgrade points. :p

For example, why is ME1 and RPG but ME3 isn't? On both of them I don't have enough upgrade points to go around. On both of them I can choose to improve a variety of things that make a real difference in gameplay... thing like what powers I have and how effective they are. Things like how much damage my guns do and how stable they are. Things like how many grenades I have and how effective they are. And I'd have to make those choices at the expense of other things.

Even in ME3's multiplayer I could build out my individual class characters in at least one of two ways. Like my standard Human Engineer could go for area of effect with multi target Overload and wider hitting Incinerate and close range exploding tech drone that combined to cause Fire and Tech explosions left right and center. Or, I could go max damage single target with my powers and kill a single armored / shielded enemy very quickly. For my Turian Sentinle I'd sometimes go with a big heavy inaccurate assault rifle but pile on the stability and damage upgrades unique to that class to get high accruacy and damage out of guns that few used. Other times I'd go for heavy damage resistance and powerful melee attacks and cut down enemies I had no business being near, like those evil sword wielding Phantoms.

Interestingly, I believe Andromeda shifts back to individual power cooldowns. But I think maybe the time pausing to select a power is gone and you might even be limited to three active powers at any given time but with the ability to swap them out as needed and without any real class restrictions.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread