Destiny 2 – “Rally the Troops” Worldwide Reveal Trailer (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 16:34 (2584 days ago) @ Kermit

[Enter Destiny player one, wearing "Destiny Skull" shirt, walking on a city sidewalk and humming "Eighth"]
"I love me some deep dark mysterious Destiny."

[Enter Destiny player two, wearing "King Cayde-6" shirt, walking the other direction on the sidewalk and humming "The Last Array"]
"I sure do miss the loot cave."

[CRASH!]

DP1: You got this silly hunter dude in my favorite game!

DP2: You got this boring old bald guy in my favorite game!

Together: YUM!

[Jingle, "Two great tastes in one video game, DESTINY 2!" ]

And ... scene.

I can't remember if you've played Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag, but perhaps my favorite thing about the storytelling in that game is the way they use the main character, Edward Conway, as a sort of foil for the rest of the uber-serious plot surrounding the Assassins and the Templars. Edward gets caught up in the struggle between the factions for completely self-serving reasons. All he cares about is making money (which serves as the perfect in-universe justification for the player's constant search for treasure and loot). But what makes it so good is that Edward's lack of interest in the greater plot does not come at the expense of that plot. The game does continue the story of the centuries-long conflict between secret societies, with characters going through all the struggles and sacrifices one would associate with such a struggle. Edward rolls his eyes at most of it, but he is only ever 1 character in a much larger world.

So far, the story in Destiny isn't strong enough to poke fun at it and still have it hold up. Bungie appears to be trying to appeal to both sides, except 1 of those sides doesn't have a leg to stand on (yet).

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread