Destiny and Multiplicative Design (Destiny)

by Durandal, Thursday, April 06, 2017, 17:35 (2575 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

That kind of play works great, in a single player situation. In a multiplayer version it can quickly cause issues.

I think Destiny's bigger issue is that players really can't interact much with the world other then by shooting things. Perhaps if you could do stuff to manipulate the environment you would have more of this, but for now really it's quite limited. We need some Chronotrigger team up attacks.

Also I second the "loot economy" issue. Randomly generating loot means that a large proportion of it is garbage. I'd rather have a crafting system, where a player accumulates drops to build weapons unique to them, but that means killing Draksis 10,000 times to get all the exotic drops goes away.

COD especially pads out the game play this way. Boarderlands used it as a selling point, but people pretty much only get like 3-4 specific guns in that game and scrap everything else.

The idea is that people like getting presents. the problem is people don't like getting 20 pairs of sweaters before getting one good present, yet all, ALL loot based games give out socks like some crazed Y2K cult. It really obscures the rest of the game.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread