Been a while since I talked about Titanfall 2 ;) (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, April 06, 2017, 18:48 (2577 days ago) @ Durandal

I think Destiny's bigger issue is that players really can't interact much with the world other then by shooting things. Perhaps if you could do stuff to manipulate the environment you would have more of this, but for now really it's quite limited.

I agree, although it is worth pointing out that other shooters have found ways to create systems that overlap in creative ways, even if "shoot stuff" is the only real point of interaction. Titanfall 2 is a great example of this. You can use gravity grenades to curve your shots, or to trap pilots as they try to eject from their doomed Titan. You can use the momentum of a moving Titan + your grappling hook to slingshot you through the air.

Zelda takes the idea of interacting systems further than most games, but you don't need to take things to such an extreme extent to be effective. One of my gripes with Destiny from a mechanical gameplay point of view is that nothing interacts with anything. Aside from the death animation, there is no difference between shooting something or punching it or hitting it with a grenade. You can't slam enemies into the environment or into each other, your abilities don't overlap or affect each other except to stack damage, etc.

We need some Chronotrigger team up attacks.

Every game needs this :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread