And another…

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, August 26, 2013, 12:43 (3900 days ago) @ Ragashingo

It is technically possible. I brought up Crash Bandicoot 3 a while ago, since that game had larger playable spaces than Destiny, and it was running on a system with 2MB of RAM clocked at 33mhz.

A few of problems here:

1. Neither you nor I actually know how big Destiny's play spaces will be. We have some vague description from Bungie employees but nothing solid.

2km^2 are the map sizes. That was stated specifically.

Simple comparison to past Halo games may also not tell the whole story either. Things like multiple floors and vertical spaces could potentially give Destiny significantly more play space packed into the same square footage as a Halo game for instance.

This is very true, and I hope it happens!

2. I'm watching the right Crash Bandicoot on youtube right now (Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped correct?) and I find the claim that it has more play space area than Destiny or even a Halo questionable. It's looking like a narrow corridor platformer to me. You could run a ton of small narrow corridors up and down the Warthog run of The Pillar of Autumn, or any other of the larger levels throughout the Halo series. I seem to recall you providing more detail on the claim that Crash was bigger, could you refresh my memory on that?

There's a bunch of levels later on that let you free roam, and even in the straight path levels, you can see actual geometry up to 3km away.

3. Even if there is more narrow corridor space than there is playable space in Destiny equating the two is dubious at best. They are such different games that comparing any stats or figures between them is very nearly meaningless. Surely there is a more comparable shooter you could compare Destiny to? Half Life 2 seemed to have pretty big spaces for instance.

I guess it'd be the far Cry games then? Even the first lets you play in more than 2km^2 of space.

In the end I'm not sure you're even arguing in good faith here. Comparing wildly different game types, clouding the issues by brining in system specs while not mentioning graphics quality or online multiplayer, and making said claims without having any actual data from or experience with Destiny makes your arguments seem almost intentionally murky.

Those things do not have to come at the cost of world building. As I said before, if I see a loading screen it always takes me out of the world. If it's all seamless, then it's much more immersive.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread