Tourists, Collectors, and Hobbyists (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, December 01, 2017, 18:56 (2346 days ago) @ Kahzgul

All of which brings me back to the podcast and Luke's desire to make the time it takes to reach max power level even longer. Why? Towards what end?

Think about the kind of people who WANT lots of grind that takes longer. This is the hardcore crowd that has nothing but time, and wants their time spent to be rewarded, because there is a false equivalence to time invested and skill at the game.

People like Datto say stuff like this. A guy who had to make a life change because he was sad, played Destiny all day, and had no friends. Do you really want to make a game that encourages THAT? Do you really want to listen to advice from someone who is so obviously dysfunctional? I'm doing my best not to sound like a complete ass, but lengthening the grind really only ultimately helps people like him 'enjoy' your game.

Time spent on a game is not a statistic to be bragged about. It doesn't represent anything of actual importance. But it easy to fall into the illusion that it does, especially if massive time investments have 'rewards'.

Have the advancement to the top take as long as it takes to not exhaust fun from the game. If you want it to take longer, put in more meaningful things to do.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread