Tourists, Collectors, and Hobbyists (Destiny)

by Claude Errera @, Saturday, December 02, 2017, 00:38 (2345 days ago) @ Kahzgul

This fact is not lost on me, and I did point out that Destiny muddies the classic mid-game with the endgame by having power (I think I said above 250) be basically meaningless.

Now, is your time spent during the end game to power up further too fast or easy?

That being said, end game is not about powering up. This is an important distinction. Endgame is where optimization occurs. Conflating that with power level makes it confusing for players to know what's actually a better choice: Power level 250 gun with great perks or power level 260 gun with crap perks? The answer is to keep BOTH in Destiny, the 260 so your engrams are higher power, and the 250 for actual use

If power above 250 is basically meaningless (I don't think it is, but you argued it was just a paragraph above this one), the answer is "shard the 260 one because the better gun is high enough." (Or just infuse the higher one into the lower one! Why keep both?)

Most people I know, including those that really have no clue what they're doing, do this - they find a gun they like, and they stick with it, infusing higher guns into it. Whether you understand the "obtuse mechanics" of leveling or not, this is trivial to understand, and works for almost everyone. I haven't heard ANYONE say "man, I wish I'd saved ____" - which doesn't mean nobody is saying it, just that it's not a fantastic example of a 'representative player'.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread