Anyone want to try The Shattered Throne tonight? (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, September 27, 2018, 11:25 (2058 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

I accidentally skipped the first half of the dungeon last night, and ended up making it all the way to the final boss. I was with Malagate and Stabbim, neither of whom could damage the enemies. I was level 565, so I could damage them a bit, but we were in no shape to tackle the fight properly.

I do want to say that this dungeon is just spectacular. I love everything about it; the ominous tone and setting, the sense of mystery.

I'm not exactly sure why, but I'm way more excited about this dungeon than I am about doing the raid. The raids used to be my absolute favorite part of Destiny. I ran VoG repeatedly, 4-5 nights per week, for months. Same with Crota. And all these years later, I can still go back to them and have a blast. But somewhere along the way, I fell off them a bit. I certainly got burned out by Kings Fall very quickly. I thoroughly enjoyed Wrath of the Machine, but I didn't play it nearly as often as the earlier raids. And with the Leviathan... I have fun with it from time to time, but I haven't had a strong desire to go back to it on about a year now. I only ever completed Eater of Worlds once or twice, and I still haven't done Spire of Stars.

I can't quite put my finger on why my feelings about raids have shifted like this. I think that part of it comes down to my feelings about blind raiding, and the fact that I don't really like it. Since most of DBO likes to run the raids blind, and make commitments around it, I'm usually out of the raiding loop for the first month or so until the rest of the clan has finished their blind runs. And by the time that has happened, it seems that raid groups have somewhat crystallized, and going forward the raids just seem to happen on a regular basis within those groups without ever making it to the FTB (absolutely none of this is a complaint, for the record... just an observation). But that element aside, I think I'm just not as enthusiastic about how mechanic and callout-heavy the raids have become. I don't know if they are more mechanically complicated than they used to be, or if its just becoming less appealing to me over time. But even watching footage of Last Wish makes me feel kind of exhausted.

I'm rambling about all this because Shattered Throne gives me a lot of the kinds of feelings I used to get from raids. So I'm very happy and excited to have an activity like this added to the game. This, along with the 6-player version of the corrupted strike, fills a gap that I had started to fall into, and I'm glad of that.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread