I play more than you do. (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, September 27, 2018, 11:37 (2058 days ago) @ Cody Miller

A lot more.

(The top players are hitting 600 now.)

I've done every milestone with powerful gear except for the first week. I should be behind, but I didn't expect to be THAT far behind.

The Prime Engrams make a big difference, and you only get those by spending lots of time playing.

Once you're over 520 LL, most "Powerful" gear drops will land 1 point above your overall level. This means they sometimes land below your max level in any given slot (for example, I might have a 525 Kinetic weapon, but if my overall light is 520, most powerful kinetic drops will only be 521 which wouldn't help me level up at all).

It all depends on the source of the Powerful drop. Most of them are soft-capped at 520, meaning they'll behave as I described above (dropping 1 level above your max overall level). Some activities are soft-capped at 540 drops, others 560.

Because of this, I prioritize the activities that produce larger gains. I also am running all 3 characters, swapping max-level weapons as I go so each character is getting the highest drops possible. I find that I'll level up faster by chasing the high-level powerful drops on all 3 characters and ignoring the lower level drops completely (or going after them only if I have spare time), vs trying to do everything on one character.

But again, the Prime engrams are always a substantial boost. I'm at 565, and I just had a 572 Kinetic drop from a Prime Engram yesterday. I tend to get 2 or 3 prime engrams per night, which adds up quite a bit.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread