My crazy/unlikely theory (Destiny)

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, January 10, 2019, 14:06 (1944 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

So this is certainly a big deal for BUNGiE and Destiny. It’s totally possible that this all stems from mundane differences in how BUNGiE and Activision wanted to proceed with Destiny moving forward; disagreements around DLC/Expansion/Season Pass/Eververse issues. It’s no secret that there has been tension between BUNGiE and Activision over these issues. But this move strikes me as too drastic to be caused by those sorts of issues. It seems more likely to me that the thing that might lead to a complete split would be if Bungie’s vision for the future of Destiny was so different from what the plan has been so far, that Activision simply wouldn’t allow it, thus necessitating the split.

My hope, is that BUNGiE is moving away from Destiny 3, and is instead planning to continue building major releases as part of the Destiny 2 platform.

I know it’s unlikely, but a man can dream :)

I was just curious if was even necessary to have a publisher. I'm curious now what the numbers are with digital download vs physical. As for marketing, social media is a major player for distributing media. In an age now where Bungie can do all of this stuff themselves, Activision is just a large hand in the pot taking profits. And with the thoughts I just mentioned, what USED to make a game publisher needed is no longer a viable source of income...and if Activision was pressing them to do things to increase profit (since it was circulated that earning reports were disappointing) then you basically have a relationship where neither party benefits.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread