HAHAAHAHA FUNNY (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, January 15, 2019, 10:02 (1940 days ago) @ Kermit

I completely agree with you that we should preserve the history of video games. I completely agree that the rise of new types of games like Destiny that attempt to present a living world make the task of preserving history more difficult. Such games shouldn't cease to exist because the task of preserving them is more difficult.

I mean, in theory someday someone could write an emulator or hack the PS4 and create a fake set of Bungie.net servers. That's a monumental task, but at least it's within the realm of possibility. I mean, there are fake WoW servers that let you play old versions of the game.

But only because there exist original game discs out there… If the game was purely digital you would have to find someone who had never updated the game…

I think those FPGA consoles for NES/SNES etc are generally a good thing in preserving games. However, I wonder if that will even be possible in the coming years given that modern consoles have their own OSes and DRM systems.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread